Monday, February 8, 2010

Old Fashioned Caramels

All I have to say is, once you try homemade caramels, you'll never eat store bought again!! I found this old, handwritten recipe in a bundle of old recipes that I bought at estate sale last summer. Ryan and I both love caramel, so I thought I would give this a try!

Next time, I am going to make a change to the original directions. The recipe says to butter a pan and turn out onto wax paper when cold. The next time I make this, I am going to have wax paper already in my pan. The recipe states to cook this over a slow fire, which means low heat, but I cooked it over medium low and it did just fine. It took a little over an hour to get the caramel to temperature. I will be making this again!!

Caramels

1 c. milk
1/2 c. cream
1 c. sweetened condensed milk
1 c. light corn syrup
2 c. sugar
1/4 butter or margarine
2 tsp. vanilla

Mix all but vanilla over medium high heat until caramel reaches hard ball stage, about 248*. Be sure to stay close by and stir constantly the last 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into a well buttered 8x8 pan. When cold, turn into wax paper, cut and wrap.


No comments: