Monday, April 20, 2009

Log Coasters

I guess I have been on a coaster kick lately! These coasters are made from logs! I think the are really neat and would be a nice gift for someone that has rustic decor!

I had to enlist Ryan's help in making these! We tried two different kinds of wood to see what would work best. The first kind I tried, it was just a thick weed, split after it was cut and dried. This one is a log from an ash tree that my grandmother had cut down. It has been cut and drying for about 3 weeks now. I do not see any signs of splitting. It has held up well. I have been waiting to post this to see how the logs would do.


Ryan took a fresh cut log and used his miter saw to cut thin slices from the log. I'd say the slices are 1-1 1/2" thick. I then took a paint brush and put on 4 coats of polyurethane. Make sure to cover both sides and the bark. After it dried, I also used a spray acyclic sealer for extra protection.


You can either cover the bottom with felt or get some felt feet from the Dollar Tree in the "hardware" aisle and glue 3 or 4 to the bottom. They would look really nice stacked and tied together with a piece of raffia to give as a gift.

4 comments:

Sue said...

They'd make a great gift idea.
I love them.
Sue.

Anonymous said...

LOL I have some Aspen coasters from Colorado :) Love them!

Doreen said...

Well done Ryan and Amber, these are very nice indeed!

Hugs
Doreen : )

Gifts That Say Wow said...

Love these coasters...I had everyone in my family come to the computer to look at them...