Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Seasoning Cast Iron

After I cleaned my cast iron skillet, it was time to season it. It was very easy and took little effort. It is important to season cast iron if it has been washed with soap. I never use soap on my cast iron unless it really needs it. I usually just wipe it clean with a dry paper towel.

To season cast iron, give it a good rub with lard. Make sure not to use any liquid oil. Crisco is okay to use but lard is the best. Make sure to get the outside of the pan, but not the bottom, and the handle with lard. I just used my fingers, but you could use a paper towel to rub it on.



After you have rubbed the pan down with lard, bake the pan in the oven at 400* for about two hours. If the pan is still sticky to the touch, bake it longer.

I have heard it is best to fry chicken in your pan after it has been seasoned. I guess I just have to have chicken for dinner tomorrow!

No comments: