Friday, October 17, 2008

Gone with the Wind - Trilogy



Since I have missed out on the book of the week for 2 weeks now, I thought I would post a trilogy for the 3rd week. So, I have chosen "Gone with the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell, "Scarlett" by Alexandra Ripley and "Rhett Butler's People" by Donald McCaig.

I hardly ever read fiction so that is why I chose these books for this time. When I first read "Gone with the Wind" I got stuck in the beginning. I thought it was horrible and couldn't understand why so many people loved it! I pushed myself and read it a little at a time. After I got past the first 200 pages, I couldn't put the book down! It just started a little slow for me. But, it really made up for it! After I read the book, I decided to watch the movie. Very disappointed!! I do not like the movie at all! The book is so different! The book helps explain why Scarlett does what she does and her attitude. Also the movie differs in whom her children belong to. I can't remember but, the movie tells that child X belongs to Y when he really is Z's son.

Sometime after, I found "Scarlett" and began reading it. It picks up where the first left off and focuses on Scarlett. It also gives some background on her side of the family. I think it is the O'Hara side of which her mother didn't approve of. It is not written by Mitchell but, it reads as if it were.

The last book is "Rhett Butler's People". I got this for Christmas this past year and had it read within 3 days. This book is just the opposite of "Scarlett" in which it tells of Rhett's background.

There are many cross references in "Scarlett" and in "Rhett". Make sure you read them in close time with each other. It had been so long that I had read the first two, that many times while reading "Rhett" I had to stop and try to think back.

1 comment:

HDMac said...

I loved Gone with the Wind.... I need to read that again!! I loved the movie too!!!! That may have just been because of the actors...... I read Scarlett a few years back and wasn't fantastically impressed with it however I did enjoy it. The last book I haven't heard of!!!! Ok... there is a MUST read!