Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Homemade Applesauce



I made applesauce by myself for the first time today! It was so easy with the right tools! I remember my grandmother making it for me when I was younger with the sieve and the wooden pestle. It has gotten so much easier since then! Just make sure that when you make this to use more than 1 type of apple. Stay away from granny smith apples because it will produce a tart applesauce. It was so easy and tasted so good that I will never go back to store bought!

Apple Sauce

8 lbs. apples, approx.
Cinnamon, optional
Food mill
Apple corer/slicer

1. Core all apples. Leave the skin on.
2. Place apples in large pot with 1" of water covering the bottom.
3. Cook apples on medium heat until apples are tender.
4. Place all apples in food mill and process.
5. Add cinnamon if using. Return to stove to keep applesauce hot.
6. Process in hot water bath in canner for 20 minutes.

Makes approx. 3 pints.

Your house will smell so good while the apples are cooking! Perfect for a fall day! This would make a nice gift with a homemade tag attached.


No comments: