Friday, September 12, 2008

Not Without My Daughter


I absolutely love this book!! "Not Without My Daughter" by Betty Mahmoody. I read it for the first time around 1990 and have probably read it 5 or more times. My grandmother is the one that introduced me to this book. We were so excited when I found out that a movie was being made but, were SO disappointed!! The movie was a really bad take on the book.

The story beings in 1984 when Betty Mahmoody agreed to go to Iran along with her 4 year old daughter to visit her husband's relatives. Betty's husband, Dr. Sayyed Bozorg Mahmoody, held her and their daughter hostage in various relatives' households for almost 2 years. Mahmoody tells Betty that she is free to leave Iran any time she wishes to return to American but she must leave her daughter behind.

The book continues about Betty's struggle to get her and her daughter out of a country where (at that time) women had no rights. She refuses to leave without her daughter. It is a harsh journey on how she struggles mentally, physically, and emotionally to get her and her daughter to safety.

You might be able to locate this book at your local library but, it is also available from Amazon for $7.95 new.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds GREAT! I just ordered it on Paperbackswap!