Monday, September 1, 2008

Broccoli Slaw




This is one of my favorite side salads. It goes well with any grilled meat, especially hamburgers. This recipe was given to me by my friend Janet.

Broccoli Slaw
2 pkgs broccoli slaw mix (found next to bagged salad and cole slaw)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
1/3 c. vinegar (I use cider vinegar and Janet likes white)
1/4 c. water
2 pkgs ramen noodles, oriental flavor (blue pkg)
1/2 c. sunflower seeds, optional
1/2 c. slivered almonds, optional

1. Crush up noodles in package. Open package and empty seasoning packets into large bowl, save noodles for later.
2. Whisk in sugar, oil, vinegar, and water until well mixed.
3. Add slaw, crushed ramen noodles, and sunflower seeds and almonds, if using. Mix well. (I use my hands)
4. Chill at least 4 hours before serving. Be sure to stir a few times while in the fridge.
5. Mix well before serving. This salad only lasts about 2 days before it gets soggy.

The salad will "shrink" down when it absorbs the vinegar mixture, like cole slaw does. In the picure my salad was almost over flowing over the edges before it went in the fridge.

No comments: