Wednesday, August 13, 2008

How to Make Bias Tape/Quilt Binding

I guess I am what you would call a "self taught seamstress". As mentioned before, my great grandmother died when I was 8, so I didn't have too many sewing lessons. No one else in my family sews, besides my sister (whom I taught), so it all has been trial and error. I have found this this to be the easiest way to make bias tape or quilt binding for most of my projects.

Depending on the "look" you are going for, will depend on how wide to cut your strips. I like to use 2 1/2" for baby quilts and 3"-4" for regular sizes. If I am making bias tape to use as a trim, I like to use 2".

To determine how many strips you'll need measure around all four sides of the quilt. Cut as many strips needed to make that length plus 1 extra.

Take the strips and form a right angle. Mark the diagonal and sew on this line. Refer to the picture to make sure to sew the correct diagonal.

Next you'll want to cut off the extra fabric, leaving about 1/4" after the seam.

Open strip up and press. Make sure to press seams to one side.

Bring the edges of the strip to meet in the middle and iron. I have found it is easiest to pin it to my ironing board and slightly pull on the strip as I am ironing.

Next, fold the strip in half and iron flat.

Sure, it's a lot more time consuming but, you get to pick what you really want and don't have to settle for the pre-made colors.

No comments: