Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Toddler Quilt in 5 Naps


If you sew I am sure you have heard of the Quilt in a Day, 24 Hours Quilts, or The Weekend Quilt. Well, with having kids I measure my time in "nap time". I do a lot of my sewing while the girls are resting so I can actually get things done. I was able to make this quilt in less than 5 nap times. That included set up and clean up time. This is a great project if you are just learning how to make a quilt. Finished Quilt measures approx. 36"x46".

You'll need:
1 yard print fabric
2- 1 yard pieces of coordinating fabric
1 1/2 yards of fleece interfacing (I like the interfacing for this but you could use batting)
1 1/2 yards of backing fabric (I used a sheet)
Quilt Binding (I used 5 strips of 2 1/2" Handmade Binding)

1. Cut material as follows:
Print: 4 strips 4 1/2" x 36"
Solid 1: 5 strips 3 1/2" x 36"
Solid 2: 5 strips 3 1/2" x 36"

2. Sew strips together in the following pattern: Solid 1, Solid 2, Print. After each piece is sewn to another press the seams to the darker fabric. Continue sewing and pressing until you have a completed quilt top.

3. Layer quilt. Place backing wrong side up on the floor. Place interfacing on top. Place quilt top right side up over interfacing. Pin the quilt together in several spots. Make sure to smooth the fabric out as you go.

4. Sew all layers together on seam lines using the quilt top as your guide.

5. Cut off any necessary fabric to make all ends of the quilt straight.

6. (Optional step) I like sew sew around the outside of the quilt to hold the outside edges in place. (I hate to use pins when I am attaching binding.)

7. Sandwich binding in between quilt and sew. I like to use the left side of my presser foot as my guide.


8. Stand back and admire you quilt!

You should have enough fabric left over to do a second one. I use a yard of each fabric so I don't have to measure the length of the strips, only the width. I think it saves a lot of time.

1 comment:

HDMac said...

Amber that is beatutiful!!!

About decluttering and organizing, oh girlfriend, you would not believe the mountains that I had and still have! lol... I, too am afraid to throw out! WHY??? I don't know. But I have been ruthless this time around and hope that it will help! I have this habit that if I need it for something I buy double! Be it a recipe or a craft project! So don't feel alone!!!! I have begun using a lot more basket and storage containers to give things boundaries and I like that idea. We can encourage each other!!!

hugs,
Marcia