Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Buckeyes


What most of you call peanut butter balls, we call buckeyes here in Ohio. This is a good recipe given to me by my grandmother's sister. Just make sure to make more that what you need because they disappear fast!

Buckeyes

2 lbs. powdered sugar
2 sticks butter, very soft, almost melted
2 lbs. peanut butter
2 c. Rice Crispies (I use generic)
12 oz. chocolate chips
3/4 block of paraffin wax

1. Mix all ingredients except for chocolate and wax very well.
2. With your hands, form mixture into small balls.
3.Chop wax into small pieces and melt in small sauce pan.
4. Add chocolate chips and continue to stir. When chocolate is completed melted, remove from heat.
5. Using a fork, dip balls into chocolate, leaving a bare spot on the top. (This creates the eye of the buckeye)
6. Put on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper to harden. Place in freezer for about 10 minutes to allow chocolate to harden and set.

Makes about 125 Buckeyes


Here are my tips for making these:
1. Use your hands to mix the peanut butter, sugar, and butter. You will know it is well mixed when you cannot see the powdered sugar.
2.Make sure to chop the wax into small pieces so it will melt faster.
3. I do not use a double boiler to melt my wax and chocolate. (I do not own one) I just use a medium low heat and watch it carefully.

4.Some people like to use a toothpick to dip the balls into the chocolate. I do not like to do this because you can see the toothpick hole when you are finished.

4 comments:

Mark said...

What a wonderful, great tasting treat!

Janet, said...

Hi, I like buckeyes, too! My recipe doesn't call for rice crispies or the wax. Do you mix the wax with the chocolate? I've never heard of doing that before.

Kudzu said...

oh wow, Buckeyes! My husband is from Ohio, and loves it when his relatives send him a package of Buckeyes :D Our recipe does have wax, but not Rice Crispies, that's a new one on us, and I bet it's yummy!
Kudzu

Amber said...

Janet, Yes I mix the wax with the chocolate. It help the chocolate become more "runny" so you can dip them easier. It also adds a nice shine to the balls.

We have always added rice crispies to the mix. Maybe it's a Cincinnati area thing? They don't have any flavor, they just add a little crunch.