Monday, November 24, 2008

Fun Christmas Gift Tags

When I made these gift tags, my original project was miles away! Ryan and I went to Walmart and saw some very cute Christmas shirts for the girls. They had puffy vinyl Christmas decorations on them. I thought, I could make those. What never occurred to me at the time, my creative juices were flowing, is yes I can make them but, I could never wash them! So, I had vinyl, thread, and glitter, what to do? I sew with vinyl all of the time do I started playing. I ended up with gift tags. I thought they would look so cute as an added something to a gift bag or box. Or, even a fun necklace for the girls to wear!

You'll need:
vinyl (black backing paper)
glitter
cookie sprinkles
ribbon
wax paper*

1. Make sure you vinyl is cut straight after buying it. I like to take my ruler and a sharpie and outline the edges so I can see where they are.

2. Cut a rectangle out of the vinyl to 5 3/4x 3 1/2. Fold in half and cut on crease to create 2 rectangles.

3. Place wax paper on vinyl and use a zig zag stitch to stitch 3 sides.

4. Peel off the wax paper. Your tag should now look like this:

5. Fill the tag with the goodies you have chosen. Stitch bag along the top to close. About a presser foot away from stitching, stitch again. Using a hole punch, punch a hole in the center top of the tag. (Black dot in picture)

6. Run a ribbon through tag and attach to package.


* You might or might not need the wax paper. My machine sews fine with vinyl on the bottom but, will not sew with vinyl on the top. With the wax paper, the sewing machine works just fine. If you have never sewn with vinyl, test out to see how you machine handles it the best.

No comments: