Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dry Cleaner Bags

I have some really nice dresses that are the girls' that I want to put up. I have just had them hanging and then I thought, I need something to cover them. I just made some cheap, muslin bags. You could use some pretty cottons and use them as a garment bag! You could even check with your local dry cleaner to see if they will use these bags instead of the plastic ones for your clothes.

You can make these any size. Just measure the outfit you wish to cover while it's on a hanger and add 4" to the width and 4" to the length.

My measurements:
2- 19"x20" pieces muslin


1. Fold muslin in half width wise. Lay a hanger on the muslin and cut the angle of the side of the hanger.

2. This is what it will look like unfolded.

3. On both pieces, sew down the top edge. (Just the edge where the hanger pokes through)

4. With right sides together, sew the bag starting at the shoulder down the side to the bottom. Repeat for the other side. Sew a hem on the bottom.



3 comments:

Doreen said...

How clever of you...you are always such an inspiration, thanks Amber.

Hugs
Doreen

Anonymous said...

Why didn't I think of this? You are way too clever! I need these "bags" to cover all my dark suits that I only wear occasionally. Thanks so much for sharing.
Frankie

Sue said...

Thank you Amber, I have always bought plastic suit/coat covers I never thought of making them myself... I must try and make some.
Hugs,
Sue.