I will list the price and some tips I found while making this after the instructions.
lamp electrical cord
carriage bolt 1 1/2" long 1/4" thick
hex nut 1/4"
fender washer 1/4"
1. Drill a hole in the center of the lid. (the drill "got away" from Ryan and that is why it looks so large)
2. Drill a hole in the side of the socket bottom.
3. Insert the lamp cord through the hole you just drilled in the socket.
4. Following the package directions, attach the cord to the screws on the socket.
5. Insert the bolt into the bottom of the socket base. Lightly push socket into base.
6. Put the socket cover over the socket and push until it snaps in place.
7. Place the bolt into the hole on the lid. Secure tightly with the washer and nut. Make sure it is centered (ours is not due to the large hole we messed up)
8. Put the rim of the jar over the socket and pull the cord through. It is now ready to be placed on top of you mason jar.
Prices and Tips
I got my socket and cord at Walmart: socket $1.97, cord $1.88. Home Depot wanted $3.88 for the socket and $5.88 for the cord.
I used a half gallon, wide mouth jar. You can use any size jar, I just liked the look of the half gallon size. I found one at Michael's for $2.99 or $3.99. If you have an Ace Hardware nearby, you can order from the site and pick it up at the store with no charge. They wanted $10.49 for 6 jars ($1.75 a jar). Here is the information: Ace Hardware
The lamp shade I used is 9"x9" and was $5.00 at Walmart. Hobby Lobby sells smaller lamp shades for a little cheaper if you used a smaller jar.
Bolt, nut & washer 0.39
Lamp shade 5.00
If you decide not to buy the pieces and do it yourself, you can buy the lamp kit from Amazon for 3/19.99 (6.66 each). This is NOT a wide mouth kit though and this price doesn't include shipping! Total cost of lamp with kit and shipping: $17.
I have some ideas of what to fill the jar with and will post them later next week.